Career Opportunities At Cairns Tropical Zoo
Cairns Tropical Zoo has native Australian animals, exotic animals and endangered species.
With so few keeper positions available, competition for vacancies is especially keen. To be considered for appointment, you can submit a resume which will be held for 6 months, or you can apply when Cairns Tropical Zoo invites applications.
To become a candidate for a wildlife keeping role, selection is done through a review process at which time those selected will be short-listed and contacted for an interview.
Interested applicants should visit our website regularly to view the vacancies once they arise or through the employment section of The Cairns Post.
What do I need to do to be considered for a zoo keeping role?
- We look for a special person with the ability to join & work within our small yet busy team.
- Friendly, outgoing with the confidence to speak publicly.
- We look for willingness to work rostered days including weekends and public holidays. (We operate 7 days a week)
- Knowledge of health & safety issues in a zoo environment.
- Having a tertiary qualification in captive animal husbandry would be an advantage.
How do I get animal husbandry experience?
There are several wildlife parks and sanctuaries that provide opportunities for gaining animal husbandry experience through volunteering. We offer a small number of volunteering opportunities to people who have applied and whose job prospects would be enhanced by practical animal husbandry experience.
Volunteers generally work a 7-8 hour day under the supervision of a senior zoo keeper.
What qualifications do I need?
We look for qualifications in zoology, animal biology, animal husbandry, veterinary nursing or other animal-related disciplines and/or husbandry experience with wildlife.
Please refer to the relevant courses to the zoo industry in your State or Territory (see your careers department) for courses being offered at the various universities and TAFE colleges in Cairns & region and throughout Australia.
Submit Expression of Interest in Employment
If no positions available forms will be kept on file for 6 months.
- There are currently no positions available.